Sunday 24 May 2015

A Side Order of Encouragement


Let the games begin!

Sirs and Madams,
This is Sanchit or Writer #3 from the first post on this blog. Hope you all read and liked that one.

As we said in our first post, this blog is all about writing for the heck of it; writing to put irrelevant thoughts out there and receive irrelevant thoughts back with the hope that at least someone somewhere will find it interesting or useful. Expect, perhaps frustratingly motley, but enthusiastic posts from us.

To introduce myself, I might be the nerdiest writer in the lot. I am a self declared Romanticist; my style of writing might seem preachy. I try to find meaning in everything I see around me and I write to inspire and move people. Sometimes I do it, other times I fail to achieve it. But I write nevertheless because it is not for me to decide how well I write, but for others. My job is to write. And so I shall.

In keeping with my belief to write without expecting applause, and my desire to encourage others to let out their creativity, I would like to share a poem I wrote, An Ode to the Human Flame.



This note is to all of you
All of you book readers, movie buffs, song lovers
All of you who have read something and found the strength to fend,
Who have watched a movie and never wanted it to end,
Who have heard a song and felt disconnected from the whole world for the moment;

All of you who have marvelled at someone's words,
Who have cried with your favourite character,
Who have found special meaning in a song that you heard
and felt that it was just for you;

All of you who have ever been moved by someone's thoughts,
Who have empathy in fiction sought
To whom these books and movies and songs have taught a certain truth of life;
You are special.

For you have read these books and watched these movies and heard these songs
And all of these have inspired you.

I beg you all, never let this die,
Let it live in you
And when someday you feel like writing a book, or making a film or singing a song
and you feel it might not be good enough,
Do it anyway.
For, I bet
Someone somewhere will read it or watch it or hear it
and smile as you did and cry  as you did and be inspired as you were.

It's a weight
passed on to you by those from whom you have been inspired,
And it is your part now to spread the flame and light up the world with your emotions.
And everyone will warm themselves to this flame
For everyone craves some heat and some light
And it doesn't matter how warm it is or how bright
A flame is a flame.

And deep down, we are all the same
And we all crave to understand and be understood,
To empathise and be empathised with,
To share a feeling with someone, even though you are separated by time and place.
To know what it is to be human.


Warmest Regards,
Sanchit Suri


No comments:

Post a Comment